[thelist] Fullscreen browser in Windows Server 2003 SE

Zug, Bryan Bryan.Zug at seattlechildrens.org
Mon Jul 26 11:33:48 CDT 2004

I've got an obscure browser issue that I need to get fixed quickly and am
hoping someone on the list has run into it before and can provide some
insight.

In a nutshell, I've got a Flash Web Based Training client that is best run
in full screen mode. Min system requirements are PC IE 5.5+. Most of my
intranet users are on Citrix Thin Client workstations.

I have JavaScripts in place to open the client window in fullscreen mode and
everything has been working fine since November 2003 -- until last week
after our Citrix guys upgraded to Windows Server 2003 SE.

Now all my Citrix users are seeing an emulation of IE 6 on this OS and my
fullscreen mode is no longer going fullscreen. Instead users are now seeing
nearly fullscreen mode with a small toolbar and a titlebar which can be seen
via the screenshot at --

http://tinyurl.com/4wd8n

This is bad because it breaks a flash-right click work-around (read hack)
that we have in place that allows us to use right-click interactions in
Flash/IE 5.5+ web apps. (Which if you've never run into this problem -- is a
showstopper for most software sims in flash).

After digging around a bit for some MS KB articles, I alerted our Citrix
guys to the IE NoTheaterMode setting (among others) to see if changing that
(those) would change things. They were able to get the smaller toolbar to
hide on window launch but the window still had the titlebar -- which still
left the majority of right-click interactions broken. Screenshot of this
results is at --

http://tinyurl.com/42hqv

So -- given that background -- anyone ever run into this before? If so how
did you fix it? Anyone know of any OS/Browser setting combinations in the
problem environment that would be helpful to fiddle with?

I can extract the relevant JavaScript code if that would be helpful. It's
embedded in secure pages at the moment and it will take me a bit to setup
some non-secure examples.

Thanks much for any help you can offer --

zug

--

Links to the KB/info articles I mentioned are --

1) "MS: The restrictions that are available to Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1" --
http://tinyurl.com/66j3e

2) "MS: Registry Reference for Windows Server 2003: NoTheaterMode"
http://tinyurl.com/6a7fa

3) "Control Internet Explorer Settings"
http://tinyurl.com/3uqnu

--
Bryan Zug
WBT Developer

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, or distribute this e-mail message or its attachments. If you believe you have received this e-mail message in error, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.