[thelist] tip owed: changing thunderbird reply header

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Tue Jul 27 08:25:42 CDT 2004

<tip type="Thunderbird reply header">
One of my pet peeves with Thunderbird (and other mail clients) has
always been the reply header, i.e. you reply to a message and above the
original message it says something like "Joe Schmoe wrote:". Not very
helpful when you want to look back and find out /when/ they wrote it. So
I did some searching and found the following code which, when added to
your user.js file, allows you to change the reply header:

// Change the reply header
// 0 - No Reply-Text
// 1 - "[Author] wrote:"
// 2 - "On [date] [author] wrote:"
// 3 - User-defined reply header. Use the prefs below in conjuction with
this:
user_pref("mailnews.reply_header_type", 3);

// If you set 3 for the pref above then you may set the following prefs.
user_pref("mailnews.reply_header_authorwrote", "%s said the following");
user_pref("mailnews.reply_header_separator", " ");
user_pref("mailnews.reply_header_ondate", "on %s");
user_pref("mailnews.reply_header_colon", ":");
// The end result will be [authorwrote][separator][ondate][colon]

And of course you can play around with it to change the order and
wording to your liking.
</tip>

--
Sarah Sweeney