[thelist] Looking for dynamic menus for ASP pages

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Wed Jul 28 05:41:53 CDT 2004

At 01:14 28/07/2004, Ken Schaefer wrote:

> > How do you fit this mess together to provide a highly
> > customizable menu system for
> > each person? I used comma delimited lists.
>
>If possible, avoid this. You end up with increasingly nasty code
>up-above splitting strings up, and putting them back together again.

   I'm firmly with Ken on this. We almost had to reboot one of our backend
guys here recently after he got his head stuck in a query/code mess
resulting from a comma-delimited field.

   You're much better off creating a table that links As and Bs, whatever
the As and Bs may be, and querying that when you want to get all the As
connected with a specific B, or vice versa.

   Comma-delimited looks neat and tidy at first, but I'm very close to
printing off a large notice saying "No comma-delimited fields, ever!" and
sticking it on the wall where everyone here can see it.

   Drew.