[thelist] Taking control of a client's computer

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at xevious.kicks-ass.net
Thu Jul 29 00:47:20 CDT 2004

On 2004 July 26, Monday 08:31, john at johnallsopp.co.uk wrote:
> It occurred to me that it would be nice if there was a way I could
> take over their machine for a short while to make the required
> changes myself rather than trying to remember what Outlook looks
> like. I know that type of software's out there. Hopefully it'll be an
> 'over the Internet' type of thing rather than using direct dial.

This is usually trivial on Unix-type systems as soon as you have the
appropriate credentials to become root, as it's simply a matter of ssh
and su or sudo (depending on setup); unfortunately, to do this on
Windows requires installation of a remote access product of some type
(through 2000 anyway; XP or whatever the latest "version number" is may
have added something different but it's doubtful).

--
Shawn K. Quinn