[thelist] OT Network question XP Pro

Dave schemer at speedeenet.com
Thu Jul 29 14:51:15 CDT 2004

I apologize in advance if this is off topic but I am feeling like a MS
Beta tester right now :-(  I replaced my motherboard on my XP Pro box to
resolve some stability issues, and after the never ending loop problem
was figured out on boot up, I have a few other issues that maybe someone
has experienced first hand. I know the answer about doing a "clean
install" but I wanted to wait on that if I could. The problem is that
after doing a repair install to get out of the looping bootup, I have a
system that won't let me reuse an IP address from the old motherboards
onboard NIC. My new Intel board has built in LAN but the old one had a
SIS chipset version. When I try to use the same IP address as the old
nonexistant NIC it throws an error type message that says that address
is already assigned to the nonexistant device. I can see the SIS device
in the device manager when I unhide the devices, but it won't allow me
to delete it as it says it may be needed on bootup. The other problem is
that the Intel INF Driver won't install. In the end I disabled the SIS
device and got the network up and running using a different IP address.
Anyone?
Thanks,
Dave