[thelist] How important is height when using tables?

Pete Prodoehl pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com
Thu Jul 29 16:15:31 CDT 2004

Johnson, Christopher (MTO) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just a quick question that I have been wondering about for the last few
> days. When design a site using tables for the layout, how important is it to
> state a table and/or cell height? Is there any speed gained in telling the
> browser the height of a cell versus not when it comes to rendering a table?
> Is there underlying reason to leave the height attribute off when working
> with tables?

I've always had a problem with setting the height, as tables often
contain variable data. How would you set the height of a cell if you
didn't know the amount of text, font, face, size that my browser users,
or my screen resolution for that matter? For images it can work using
pixels, but I've just seen it be useless so many times with text.

Of course with nothing to look at, I have no idea what you're trying to
do... ;)

Pete