[thelist] old browsers (was How important is height when using tables?)

Diane Haugen haugend at ictc.com
Fri Jul 30 11:52:59 CDT 2004

At 12:51 PM -0300 7/30/04, Sarah Sweeney wrote:

>TV producers don't make their shows "compatible" with old black and
>white TVs just because some people still have them. Why should we
>produce websites for users who still have ancient (in the computer
>world) browsers?
>
>Upgrading a browser is fairly easy to do, even for not-so-savvy
>computer users. Learning how to use the upgraded version of a
>browser is also not very difficult.

Speaking as one of those people who refuses to upgrade a browser, it
goes beyond being easy and learning new stuff. There is no such thing
as an easy upgrade to anything. I have downloaded newer additions of
browsers and they make the rest of my software act quirky, or they
take an obscene amount of memory, or they automatically add something
someone things is useful, but I find highly annoying and very
difficult to get rid of or turn off.

I have the choice of using OS X or classic on my iMac, but I stick
with the classic because my software works better with classic, or
not at all on OS X. My iMac came with one of the first versions of OS
X and I never use early versions of any software.  When I do finally
decide to make the switch to OS X, it will because I have bought a
new iMac and I will still be able to use my old software on my
existing machine. It's easy to sing the song of "leave the
curmudgeons in the dust" when you can rely upon an employer to pay
for the latest and greatest.

Coddling?  I think not. I don't ask to be coddled.  I do refuse to go
to web sites which I can't access. It's that simple. And  you know
what?  I don't think I've missed much.

I don't expect many people to agree with me, but since there are
evidetntly a lot of people out there besides me who are resisting
browser upgrades, please don't assume the reasons we don't upgrade
are obvious, like it's too much trouble to download an upgrade.

As for expecting TV stations to program for my old black and white
TV, I got rid of ALL of my televisions sets years ago.  So clearly I
am pretty dependent upon the web and my ancient browser to know what
the world's doing.  :>

Diane Haugen