[thelist] How important is height when using tables?

Karl Jacobs kj at studio.aero.org
Mon Aug 2 17:38:30 CDT 2004

On Aug 2, 2004, at 3:25 PM, Diane Soini wrote:

>  original author, I'm still awaiting an answer to the actual question
> that was asked in this thread. I know that setting the width on a <td>
> can speed up rendering, but can height, too. Intuition would say
> probably. If the height is set the same as it would otherwise end up
> being without setting the height, I'm curious if it helps or not. My
> guess is the added bandwidth of the extra bytes isn't worth it.

It depends on what is going in the <td>.  If it is anything that
browsers can interpret differently, then you've caused more trouble
that you've solved.  Often the width (or heigth) is overulled by the
browser as it brings in the content.

To get around this, I've been using single-pixel gifs, stretched to the
width I need to fix.  Or start moving to using divs instead.