[thelist] new situation

Karl Bunyan freelance at core10.co.uk
Tue Aug 3 09:22:56 CDT 2004

I've recently had to do this a couple of times. One I decided we could
take on, one seemed to be beyond saving (cheaply). The main things I've
taken from those experiences are:

- Taking on another developer's work is always going to be hard and the
first day or so will probably make your head spin in complete
bewilderment
- Try to resist the urge to rewrite unless it's absolutely necessary
(and even then think again)
- Don't be too disparaging of the previous developer's work, either of
the code or documentation, as it won't help you and in the course of a
project there are often reasons why corners have been cut (e.g. time
constraints, changing brief) that you probably won't know about
- if it's anything like most long-term projects then the requirements
will have changed and the code design will probably have been bent to
fit its purpose in a few places. On the plus side, it's a good point to
get a fresh perspective on the problem.

Hope that's some help,
Karl