[thelist] How important is height when using tables?

Karl Jacobs kj at studio.aero.org
Tue Aug 3 11:13:36 CDT 2004

>On 7/31/2004 11:44 PM the head lemur wrote:
>>There is still a large portion of the world that is not only using dial-up
>>but also paying by the minute for the service. They also do not have the
>>latest equipment nor the latest OS to run new browsers. In addition most of
>>these folks do not have English as their first language. A 5-10 MB download
>>represents a significant monetary and time outlay, as well as requiring in
>>most cases a certain OS to run.

Well, this kind of rules out Flash, doesn't it?...  :-)

It's all an issue of audience.  If part of your audience is in this
category, then a low-bandwith version of you site is in order.  But
the TD issue is a rendering issue in the browser, not a download
issue.

You really need to look at your site stats to see what users from
different countries are using, and plan accordingly. (I would also
imagine that it could open a nightmare of browser-OS testing).