using tables for layout (was RE: [thelist] How important is heightwhen using tables?)

Seth Thomas Rasmussen seth at sethrasmussen.com
Tue Aug 3 13:16:33 CDT 2004

<snippet>
I don't hear anyone saying that it's a good idea to use tables for
layout. All I hear are folks (including me) saying that there are times
when, as the coder, *it's not your choice.*

If it *is* my choice, I'm not going to use tables for layout. We're with
you on this graceful degradation thing, and the forward-moving-bringing
the web into the future thing. Honest we are. It's just not a 'given' in
every single case.

joel
</snippet>

Fair enough, but in all fairness, I, nor anybody advocating abadoning
table-based layouts, said that situations like those don't exist, nor are we
saying that those situations don't need to be dealt with. I also think it's
too kind to say that some people haven't more or less been making excuses
for the continued use of table-based layouts in situations where they can
help it, and that is why the debate still happens.

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/