[thelist] Netscape

Tim Beadle tim.beadle at iop.org
Wed Aug 4 02:47:13 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 21:56, Rob Smith wrote:
> This is a spoof right? "Start running the Internet's Best browser..." (I
> nearly fell out of my chair from laughing so hard.)

No, it's not a spoof. It's bringing the Netscape trunk of code
up-to-date with Mozilla advances, and is therefore A Good Thing.

> <start rant>
> I hated, no loathed, the dang browser when it existed. When will it end!?

If you hate Netscape 6+ because of Netscape 4, then you are small-minded
and blind.

> Those of you who replied to this posting that still use it were the few
> minute cases that still existed in this world of 5 billion 3/4.

Netscape 7.1 is our company standard browser because, if you hadn't
noticed, IE is a bug-ridden, insecure POS.

> What do I hate about it?! The fact that it loaded too slowly, it doesn't
> support SSL pages as well as I'd like, and Composer just stunk.... wannabe.
> </end rant>

It loaded slower because it didn't have the "advantage" of being made by
the company that made the OS...you must have very specific SSL
requirements...and you don't have to install (let alone use) Composer.

I for one am glad it's being revived.

Regards,

Tim
--