[thelist] Mozilla and multiple dashes

Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Wed Aug 4 20:05:25 CDT 2004

Message from John.Brooking at sappi.com (8/4/2004 06:41 PM)
>Hello, all,
>
>    After an hour or so, I finally narrowed down why a three-column layout
>I've been working on is not rendering well at all in Mozilla/Netscape, and
>it seems to have to do with HTML comments having multiple dashes inside
>them! (Of all the stupid, non-intuitive things!!) I've found very little
>discussion of this in searches at Google or Mozilla (maybe I'm just not
>using the right words), just enough to confirm that it seems to be a known
>problem, but nothing I've found sounds very definitive.

Yes, I've seen people make this mistake before. It's one of the more
obscure things but it is in the HTML specification.

"White space is not permitted between the markup declaration open
delimiter("<!") and the comment open delimiter ("--"), but is permitted
between the comment close delimiter ("--") and the markup declaration close
delimiter (">"). A common error is to include a string of hyphens ("---")
within a comment. Authors should avoid putting two or more adjacent hyphens
inside comments."
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/sgmltut.html#idx-HTML

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/