[thelist] 3-column div hell....

Karl Jacobs kj at studio.aero.org
Fri Aug 6 12:26:20 CDT 2004

On Aug 6, 2004, at 9:37 AM, Matt Warden wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 08:29:50 -0700, Karl Jacobs <kj at studio.aero.org>
> wrote:
>> Can someone tell me why I should waste any more time trying to do it
>> in
>> pure CSS (float, absolute, voice-family, Oh My!) when I can do it with
>> a simple table with 3 cells, and a simple div in each cell?...
>
> If you want to read up on the tables vs. CSS layout argument, there
> are plenty of resources on the web. Google is your friend.

Yes, I have bookmarked many of those sites.....

> The main thing to remember, which is often forgotten by the pro-tables
> side of the argument, is that CSS layouts are just as easy as table
> layouts.

Not sure about that one....   that's my main beef. Esp. the box-model
hacks.

> Yes, there is a learning curve. But there is a learning curve with
> using tables for layout, too.

But I KNOW tables......    :-)

> Yes, the CSS learning curve may be steeper, because things like float
> are a little difficult to get one's head around. But, read one or two
> good CSS articles about float and you've got it.

Well, my argument here would be that a lot of the CSS sites we see all
have started to share similar structures.  When trying to do something
else, floats seem to become a real problem.

(No, I don't understand the Zen-Garden sites yet.... :-)

> But, once you get beyond that, it's are just as easy as tables. In
> fact, in my personal opinion, it's somewhat easier because the markup
> is more simple.

If you're not doing multi-column layouts, I certainly agree. But all
the hacks to get columns to work is where things really get messy.

> Anyways, the point is that the 'tables are easier and faster to
> create' is just not true (unless you are using most WYSIWYG editors,
> unfortunately). What *is* true is 'tables are easier and faster to
> create for people who haven't learned how to do it with CSS.' But, I
> think you'll agree that point doesn't have much use.

I hand-code everything in BBedit.  and I'm quite good at it... :-)
Tables or otherwise.  Just give me a solution for columns, and I'll be
happy.   :-)  I'm using CSS for all the styling, it's just some of the
layout things that are a problem.