[thelist] Site check

Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Sat Aug 7 14:41:09 CDT 2004

Message from Craig (8/7/2004 12:26 PM)
> > Even staying with tables, a more
> > up-to-date use of css (use of descendent selectors, and css instead of
> > spacers for example) could reduce the file-size significantly (+50%).
>
>Do you have any links with information regarding this, I could look at?

No links but something I do every so often is take one of my old
table-based layouts and recode it with CSS, and my findings are similar.
Not +50% in my case, but my coding habits have always been quite efficient.
In one example the main page went from 3.09k to 1.72k with a 800 byte
stylesheet.

I also recently reworked someone else's Frontpage built site that was
replete with font tags and what not. It was a news page with several press
releases. This went from 19.4k to 12.7k with a 700 byte stylesheet. Of
this, the static text, which couldn't be altered, was 10.3k. So you could
say the code went from 9.1k to 2.4k

In both cases the original layouts were maintained almost exactly. And the
byte-savings are even larger when you're talking one stylesheet spread
across many pages.

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/