[thelist] Advanced Table Design using only Divs and CSS.

Robert Hansson Robert.Hansson at oyster.com
Mon Aug 9 14:35:08 CDT 2004

Hi everyone out there!

There have been a lot of questions about how to create html layout
without using tables. I have another question different from the other
ones.

Background:

I want to create a table like design using only divs and css, having
both fixed and variable column widths in header, content and footer.
When resizing the window I want only the column with variable width to
expand, shrink and stop shrinking when you reach a minimum width even if
you continue resizing the browser window.

For mozilla it's possible to solve this using css properties min-width
and max-width, but when it comes to IE you just want to cry every
goddamn time you resize the window. The client I work with don't want us
to use any scripts which don't make my life easy at all. If I only could
use scipts(javascript/vb) with behaviours or resizing events for solving
the IE min/max width problem.

Example:

Header area:

- Column1: fixed width 150px;

- Column2: resizable when resizing window, but with a min-width of 300px

- Column3: fixed width 150px;

Content area:

- Column1: resizable when resizing window, but with a min-width of 400px

- Column2: fixed width 200px;

Footer area:

- Column1: resizable when resizing window, but with a min-width of 600px

All the column heights just expand with the content you put in the divs.

Question:

How can I create a table design like the example above using only html
and css to make it work in ie and mozilla, without using behaviours or
any client side script languages at all?

Anyone with the same problem, having a solution to the problem or any
example websites would be of BIG interest to me.

I have actually tried for weeks and I believe it's impossible to solve!
:-(

I would be happy if there are any html/css gods out there that can tell
me that I'm completely wrong about it. :-)

Cheers,

Robert Hansson.

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Oyster Partners Ltd does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Oyster Partners Ltd.