[thelist] sharepoint?

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 20:57:44 CDT 2004

Which Sharepoint version are you looking at? (Windows Sharepoint
Services, Sharepoint Portal Server, Sharepoint Team Services)?

WSS is a free add on for Windows 2003 (you just need to download it),
and playing around with that is probably going to get your question
answered quicker than someone trying to explain it!

Sharepoint is more of a collaboration tool than a CVS (Microsoft has
Visual Source Safe, Content Management Server, and Visual Studio Team
Services as various versioning products). The Sharepoint Portal
product adds a focus on providing an employee (or business partner)
portal (so you can more easily pull information from a database, or
your mail system or whatever).

Office 2003 directly integrates into WSS - so, from within Word (or
any Office product) you can create a new team workspace, add users,
get notifications of documents being changed etc. Within the workspace
(which is accessible from within Office, or via the web), you can have
events/calendaring, document libraries etc. For each page, each
individual (or the admin) can add "web parts" - there are a bunch that
ship with WSS, or you can program your own in .NET (or buy/use one of
the 3rd party ones). Live Communication Server (LCS) also integrates
into Office/Sharepoint (LCS is the Microsoft corporate IM product).
Because Sharepoint is designed to work with Office, it's more of a
collab tool than a CVS, though there are versioning capabilities
available.

Cheers
Ken