[thelist] Arguing with my ISP over DNS problem

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Wed Aug 11 01:20:53 CDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
Sent: August 10, 2004 10:48 PM
Subject: Re: [thelist] Arguing with my ISP over DNS problem

> The next troubleshooting problem would be to use nslookup (or
similar
> tool) on the DNS server that the client is using, to see what that
DNS
> server thinks, since that's where the client it getting it's DNS
data
> from.

Did that actually, and it didn't give any clues as a direct nslookup
via cmd returned correctly but the browser wouldn't.

> The DNS resolver cache should be clear when the machine starts up,
so
> if the problem is evident when the machine is started up, then the
DNS
> server that it's getting its information from is not resolving
> correctly, or has stale data.

That's what I thought, and an an ipconfig /displaydns showed nothing
but still getting the wrong site. Did a trace and it goes to the
wrong server immmediatly but the ISP *insists* nothing is cached for
that length of time regarding DNS.

> I fail to see what the DNS cache is "misguided" though. Perhaps you
> can explain why?

Other than to make the browser seem a tiny bit faster the only hit is
on the internet itself and that's nothing compared to the juice
burned up with spam. Why should someone have to go through all this
just to get a proper lookup via a browser even though the registrars
etc. say the nameservers are correct, days later? Home computers
afaik didn't need a local DNS cache up until XP/ME and it's created
nothing but headaches for me so far when it comes to moving sites
from one nameserver to another (in isolated cases), why change
something that has worked splendidly all these years?

This is only happening on a couple machines so would love to hear a
clue as to why it was happening, it's a mystery to me!

cheers,

               Mark

MG Web Services
Web Site Hosting and Development