[thelist] Arguing with my ISP over DNS problem

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Aug 11 05:16:50 CDT 2004

Quick follow up. If this is still a live issue, I'm happy to look at an
Ethereal capture from the client that is exhibiting the problem.

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Schaefer" <ken.schaefer at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [thelist] Arguing with my ISP over DNS problem

: On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:20:53 -0700, Mark Groen <mark at markgroen.com> wrote:
: > ----- Original Message -----
: > Sent: August 10, 2004 10:48 PM
: >
: > > I fail to see what the DNS cache is "misguided" though. Perhaps you
: > > can explain why?
: >
: > Other than to make the browser seem a tiny bit faster the only hit is
: > on the internet itself and that's nothing compared to the juice
: > burned up with spam.
:
: A lot more things than just "web browsers" use DNS. On any network
: now, how do you think a client machine contacts a server for
: resources? DNS. Doesn't matter if it's *nix, MacOS or Windows -
: everything uses DNS to find everything
:
: > Why should someone have to go through all this
: > just to get a proper lookup via a browser even though the registrars
: > etc. say the nameservers are correct, days later? Home computers
: > afaik didn't need a local DNS cache up until XP/ME and it's created
: > nothing but headaches for me so far when it comes to moving sites
: > from one nameserver to another (in isolated cases), why change
: > something that has worked splendidly all these years?
:
: But you don't even know whether the DNS cache has anything to do with
it...
:
: If the DNS cache was the problem, then changing the DNS servers to
: your own wouldn't have solved the problem - there would still be
: incorrect entries in the cache, and those would still be used by the
: browser rather than your DNS server's correct entries.
:
: Cheers
: Ken