[thelist] Forum/BBS software

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Wed Aug 11 15:36:29 CDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: <Leigh.DSylva at cas.gov.on.ca>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: August 11, 2004 1:12 PM
Subject: [thelist] Forum/BBS software

> I have been asked to put some kind of forum/BBS on our intranet,
but the
> main point is that any postings made by the users are anonymous,
i.e. no
> login or registration of any kind.  The person who has asked for
this used
> "uportal" with a previous employer. I've had a look at the web site
but our
> intranet runs IIS with PHP/MySQL.  Uportal seems to require Java,
etc from
> which I want to keep away as I have no idea about it!  At least
with
> PHP/MySQL I have a fighting chance. I'm currently playing with
phpBB 2.x
> but not sure if this is the right tool.  Can anyone steer me in the
right
> direction?

I just recently installed Phorum for a client, and very happy with
the ease of installation and customization as was able to get it
looking almost exactly like their old one running on FileMaker Pro3:

http://phorum.org/

You can set it for various group levels from anonymous public posting
all the way to log in only for those belonging to a particular group
that you specify and levels in between.

hth!

cheers,

               Mark