[thelist] Setting up https:// on IIS 5 tutorial

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Thu Aug 12 08:48:50 CDT 2004

<previous snip>
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:13:38 -0500, Rob Smith <rob.smith at thermon.com> wrote:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/?id=299525
> >How To Set Up SSL Using IIS 5.0 and Certificate Server 2.0
>
> Thanks. This was the source of one of my problems actually. When I
received
> the real certificates from VeriSign and stopped using my home grown, the
> Certificate Services service threw errors

Huh? You install the certificate into IIS, or into the server's
certificate store (depending on what type of cert it is). What does
Certificate Services have to do with this process? Perhaps you can
give us more information about the actual problem you are facing. What
you describe doesn't really make a lot of sense to me :-)
</previous snip>

When I used and installed Certificate Services on my 2k Server, I had
created two certificates. I installed them as being my own certificate
authority as a test for https sites. When I received the real certs from
VeriSign I didn't need my home grown certs anymore. And deleted them.
Certificate Services still thought it had issued certificates but when it
didn't find them, it threw errors and stopped the Certificate Services
service.

When I tried to find what was causing the ruckus, the only help files
available on the net where on ISA. We don't do that here.

Certificate Services service gets installed when you add the Certificate
Services windows component.

Needless to say. I've uninstalled Certificate Services as I no longer need
to be a test certificate authority and my problems have vanished.

Now If I could only figure out how to uninstall the worlds problems...

Rob