[thelist] Value of Input with CSS

Jono ox4dboy at comcast.net
Thu Aug 12 16:30:35 CDT 2004

On 8/12/04 1:35 PM, "Seyon" <evoltlist at delime.com> wrote:

> I think you're trying to use a styling tool to perform a functionality job.
> Javascript is probably a better option for this task.
>
> That said, if you can figure out how to put a background image into the
> input field, which I believe is doable, you can use an image of the text
> you want inserted. Just make it brief enough that it'll fit in your
> smallest input field.
>
> regards.
> -marc

Yeah I figured it would not be doable, but I was curious.  My reason for
wondering is that I need the form highlight styles to work with JS turned
off, it will be implemented on the backend (that's out of my hands).
Thanks.  I am only responsible for a style.  Looks like what I have is as
good as it gets.

[snip]
I am creating a style that will be used to highlight a form's input field
when the user has failed to enter their information.  So far I have this:

.errorText {            /* this colors the text above the field */
    color: #c00;
    }
.errorField {            /* this colors text field that is empty */
    border: 2px inset #C00;
    background: #ffc
    }

Is it at all possible to use CSS to fill in the empty (and now highlighted)
text filed with a message say something like "You must fill this in"
[/snip]