[thelist] when is content management necessary?

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 11:10:57 CDT 2004

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:34:38 +0100, Alex Beston <alex at deltatraffic.co.uk> wrote:

> Im wondering what the cut off point is for the number of pages on a site
> where a CMS would be needed. im reckoning around 30 plus.
>
> what sort of figure would you think is reasonable?
>
> there could be a grey area for 30 to 60 and after that point a CMS would
> definately be needed.

I think you need to define what you mean by content management here.
If you are dealing with a site that gets any of its content from a
database, then I think a CMS is needed anytime with any size website.
Hooking a website up to a database just makes entering and managing
the content that much easier.

In addition, I think any time you want non developers to be able to
add content to your site, whether that is a company website or a
community website, then some form of content management system is a
must.

However, if when you refer to a content management system you are
talking about something where the entire site is contructed from
templates and is created using an engine such as Zope or EZPublish,
then perhaps the size of the site comes into play. Even here though,
if the site needs to be managed by non-developers, than a CMS is
probably needed once again.

Therefore, once again, size does not matter, instead, look at the
intended usage for the site and base any decisions on that.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com
"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd