[thelist] MySQL licensing (was: Which RDBMS?)

David Siedband technique at oceanicsky.com
Sat Aug 14 15:47:47 CDT 2004

Running MySQL on a server is not distributing it.

Here are a few examples to help clarify:

We distribute a web application as Zope code and MySQL table build
instructions.  For someone to use this application, they must download
MySQL for their OS and install it themselves.  This is not
distributing...

If we were to offer this application on CD and include MySQL in an
installer package, that would be distributing.

However we can legally charge for their time to download, install and
configure MySQL for our clients if they don't have someone in-house to
do this for them.

--
David