[thelist] Which RDBMS?

raditha dissanayake jabber at raditha.com
Sat Aug 14 19:41:56 CDT 2004

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> raditha dissanayake wrote:
>
>> (MySQL's) position (unless it has changed of late) is that if you
>> make a commercial product that stores data in a mysql db you have to
>> pay them licensing fees - this is what a mysql sales rep told me.
>

> Yes, if you *distribute* MySQL as part of an *non-GPL* product, that
> is altogether different than using it to run your Web site :-)
>
> But, per the recent MySQL list discussion, if the licensing pages on
> the MySQL site don't address your specific concern directly, you're
> encouraged to join the discussion on the list, or tell them directly.

Thanks for the invitation but i will pass. Just to recap; my comments
were based on what mysql representatives told me. It does not matter to
them whether you distribute mysql or not - as long as you make money out
of your product and the product stores it's data in a mysql db they want
their pound of flesh.

--
Raditha Dissanayake.