[thelist] adding PHP and MySQL to RedHat

Joel D Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Mon Aug 16 00:38:22 CDT 2004

> Mysql and php are both bundled with that ancient version of
> Red Hat if I
> remember correctly. You can just install them off the cd using RPM.

Which, as I've mentioned twice, I don't have. If I did, y'all never
woulda heard from me, I'd just install from there.

> Anyway you should definitely get a more recent version of RH. However
> you probably do not want fedora which as a I understand does
> not include
> mysql (they say it's not because of the license issues .....)

So, upgrading to Fedora does me no good.

Honest, I'm not scared of computers. I create automated DOS tools and do
a half decent job with scripting and stuff. But this about has me beat.
I cannot believe anyone would intentionally go through this nonsense to
install a scripting language and database. Everyone acts as if it's
simple, but I have yet to see a single complete solution and I've been
mucking with it off and on all day. I built my entire Windows server in
less time.

I'd love to upgrade. To what? If Fedora doesn't include MySQL, that
sorta defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Could someone who lives in the Linux world give me a reasonably complete
run down on how I get from RedHat 7.1 with no MySQL or PHP, to
*anything* *with* MySQL and PHP.

Here's an example of the kind of confusion I'm suffering:

Typing
    rpm -il MySQL-server-4.0.20-0.i386.rpm
returns
    Package MySQL-server-4.0.20-0.i386.rpm is already installed

however,
    rpm -ql MySQL-server-4.0.20-0.i386.rpm
returns
    Package MySQL-server-4.0.20-0.i386.rpm is not installed

So, is it installed or not? I sure can't find it.

When does it start making sense?

joel