[thelist] wiki

David Siedband technique at oceanicsky.com
Tue Aug 17 12:49:22 CDT 2004

Wikis are a great way to allow people to collaboratively edit text
documents without a lot of overhead.

The problem with wikis is when people try to use them as a simple CMS,
because they expect the user to learn a new behavior.

In general, I favor using a content management system like Plone and a
browser based wysiwyg editor like Epoz
http://mjablonski.zope.de/Epoz

The filesystem-like view of Plone and the famiarity of the GUI elements
in Epoz present a familiar enough interface that most users seem to be
able to jump in and start working with them.

The only place I use wikis is in development projects, where people
are, for the most part already familiar with wikis or generally not
uncomfortable with learning a simple new markup syntax.  I have one
client who requested a wiki on their intranet, but in general I don't
bring them up as a solution.

--
David