[thelist] downloadable files

Mike designbase10 at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 17 15:13:04 CDT 2004

Hello,

I would like to offer some files on my website available for users to
download. The files are in the EPS format (encapsulated postscript). I
had a large EPS file and then zipped it and uploaded it onto the website
with a link to the file. But when I tried to download it as a test (I
was using IE5mac), I received an error.

What is the best procedure to use to offer large ZIP downloads for users?

I own Stuffit Deluxe on my mac and I tried encoding the ZIP file into
binhex and then I uploaded the binhex file (filename.hqx). This worked
very well but the filesize was very large and I am not sure if users
would likely be able to open it. Can most users open a binhex file? If
so, then great - that will be my solution. But I am not sure how many
people can open binhex (.hqx). Is binhex very standard?

Other encoding options I could have used were:
Macbinary
UUencode

I am not sure what is the best way to go about this.

Thanks for any advice.

--
Mike