[thelist] downloadable files

Mike designbase10 at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 17 19:15:53 CDT 2004

Chris Johnston wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:13:04 -0700, Mike <designbase10 at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>>I would like to offer some files on my website available for users to
>>download. The files are in the EPS format (encapsulated postscript). I
>>had a large EPS file and then zipped it and uploaded it onto the website
>>with a link to the file. But when I tried to download it as a test (I
>>was using IE5mac), I received an error.
>

> What was the error that you received? Did you make sure that you put
> it into a directory that was accessible from the web?

Thank you Chris, Peter and Marc for your replies. I should have been
more clear about the details of the "error".

Here are the details of the error:
I uploaded the ZIP file to a folder on my server. I then created an html
page that had a regular link to this file. I also uploaded that html
page too of course. Then I used my mac IE5 browser to try it out to see
if I could download the file by clicking the link. The ZIP file was
about 1 or 2 megs. The download lasted about 2 seconds or so and so I
knew something went wrong - it should have taken about 30 seconds.
During the download, the bottom left corner of the IE5 browser read:
"error". Also the Download Manager reads the following:

name: run_ad_gray_2004.eps.zip
status: error
time: (its a blank field)
transfer: 0 bytes

My audience is mainly PC users and so from reading these helpful posts
it would seem that I should stay away from binhex and just use ZIP.
There are no security issue - the files are not useful to anyone other
than those who will know they are there.

It seems like such a simple procedure - I just need to know why it gave
me an error. I am now going to try this again with Mozilla instead of
IEmac...

Maybe my ZIP file was corrupted somehow? I had better try this again...

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

--
Mike