[thelist] What's wrong with this?

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 20:51:40 CDT 2004

Hi,

- Create a user on the IIS machine (ServerA)

- Create a user on the remote machine (ServerB) that has the same name
as the user you created on the first machine. Make sure it has the
same password as well.

- In IIS create the virtual directory, and point it to the UNC path of
the remote server (do not use mapped drive letters). In the Connect
As.. dialogue enter the username and password above

- On the remote machine, make sure that the account you created on
serverB has appropriate rights to the share and folders and files.

- I have no idea what you were referring to when you said "ASPNET"
user in your first post. ASPNET user account is a local user account.
You can't add ServerA\ASPNET to the ACL (Access Control List) of any
resource on ServerB, and the ASPNET user account on ServerB is not the
same as the ASPNET user account on ServerA, so adding ServerB\ASPNET
to the ACL of a resource on serverB is not going to give ASPNET user
on ServerA access to that resource. In your next post you are talking
about an account you just made up - I don't know how that relates to
what you said in your first post.

269009 Red Stop Sign Appears in MMC on UNC-Mapped Content Directory
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=269009

Cheers
Ken