[thelist] "PHP or ASP?" dilemma, strict company rules, and ahybrid web site.

Tim Beadle Tim.Beadle at iop.org
Wed Aug 18 10:07:26 CDT 2004

thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org wrote on 18/08/2004 15:49:35:
> > > I've been using PHP/MySQL for web development for 3+ years and I
> > > prefer using PHP for any kind of web development. Executive officer
> > > told me to use MS technologies, so I may not use PHP.
>
> Is he an executive officer for MS?

AFAIK, you don't have to work for MS to be blinkered into always
specifying their technologies. You know: "no-one ever got fired for buying
IBM^H^H^H Microsoft". As much as I might disagree with the EO's position,
it's hard to do much about it.

There is so much distrust of non-MS tech in the MS-community, much as
there is distrust of MS stuff in the FOSS world.

Anyway, that's his situation, and if the EO says so, then there's not a
lot he can do, is there? Apart from find alternative, PHP-friendly
employment I suppose.

Tim

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses.