[thelist] What MIME type will cause Excel spreadsheet to download?

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 13:52:50 CDT 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:05:40 -0400, Chris Johnston
<fuzzylizard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the application that I am working on, I am using j2ee to serve up
> an excel spreadsheet. What I wondering is what mime type can I use in
> the header to cause the spreadsheet to download instead of opening in
> Excel?

response.setContentType("application/vnd.ms-excel");

As for whether it opens in Excel or downloads, this is a setting in
the browser. When I tried messing with MIME types in order to force a
download, it ruined support for the Mac.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com