[thelist] Access 2003 and GUID

Andreas Wahlin Andreas.Wahlin at ufl.gu.se
Thu Aug 19 02:55:40 CDT 2004

This may seem a silly questionbut the GUID, that is, the Id number in
access databases that look somewhat like {ouo43-3noe-324nh-34n3h4nh}
The acronym stands for Globally Universal IDentifier, which leads me to
believe it's GLOBAL, that is a unique ID in my entire database, and
guaranteed that no two fields have the same ID number in the entire
database. This could let me have a table where I use all the ID's from
all my tables all over without any two being the same.
However, when I convert a long int to this sort of ID number, I get
duplicates over tables since the converted numbers are largely the
original ID number padded with {0000-00-000-0000} to make it look more
GUID like.
So, my question probably is, is the GUID really a globally unique
number, and is the above behaviour only a "bug" when I convert a long
int to a GUID, and if I want to convert my long int id numbers to GUID,
I'll have to delete a record and then add it again (or some other clumsy
way)?
thanks, databases really aren't my strong point

Andreas Wahlin
projektanställd UFL, Göteborgs universitet
031-773 55 22 (delad med Heléne Nilsson)
Elsa'>Elsa <http://www.ufl.gu.se/elsa.asp"> ; Elektronisk LärarStudent
Administration
http://www.ufl.gu.se/elsa.asp

Dominus Illumina Tio Mea