[thelist] storing data clientside

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Thu Aug 19 10:31:24 CDT 2004

Maybe I should rephrase my problem a bit. A competition may produce up
to 1MB of data. All being well, this data is stored and processed on the
server. In order to bring the competition through the data needs to be
processed, and if everything is ok, this should be done on the server
(this allows audience not present in the competition venue to follow the
event). However, the competion must be carried through even if the
connection fails. This means that a copy of all data must be maintained
client side, and there should be some capability to proces it there too.

David Travis wrote on 19/08/2004 18:19:
> If that's the case you should store only a ticket ID of the user in a
> cookie, and the data itself in a database. To identify the user's data use
> this ticket ID.

So this approach won't work - the data must be kept client side.

Chris Johnston wrote on 19/08/2004 17:22:
> Have you looked into Macromedia Central?

I had a look now, but this is something I don't really need - if I go
the Flash route with Shared Objects, I can play with my own application.
Retrieving the data is not the problem - storing it is. And while Flash
seems just the right thing for this, I'd first like to see if there is a
equally good way without it.

thanks,
.k