[thelist] "Hand Coding" in DWMX2004

Aaron Cole aaron at aaroncole.com
Fri Aug 20 12:12:06 CDT 2004

Why do so many people bash Dreamweaver MX and say that they prefer to
"hand code"?

I see it all of the time and it really confuses me.  Do these people
not understand that you don't have to use the WYSIWYG features?  I'm
not going to say that it's the end all to be all, but it's a pretty
damned good editor and while it may be cool to say that you use
Notepad, I'd call that an inefficient use of your time.  I'd also call
that a run-on sentence, but I'm at work and probably should be doing
something else right now.

The optional auto-fill feature alone saves me tons of time.  The
search/replace functionality rocks and the "site" management means I
don't have a stand-alone FTP client anymore.

In anticipation of being bashed as ignorant, I will say that I've been
employed in the Bay Area as an "HTML/CSS guy" for the past five years
(not including those crappy five months in 2001, but let's not talk
about that).  I can "hand code" in Notepad with the best of them.  I've
been known to have dreams about markup.  I know what I'm doing.

So what am I missing here?