[thelist] "Hand Coding" in DWMX2004

noah noah at tookish.net
Fri Aug 20 16:25:01 CDT 2004

Aaron Cole wrote (20/08/2004 1:12 PM):

> Why do so many people bash Dreamweaver MX and say that they prefer to
> "hand code"?
>
> I see it all of the time and it really confuses me.
> The optional auto-fill feature alone saves me tons of time.  The
> search/replace functionality rocks and the "site" management means I
> don't have a stand-alone FTP client anymore.

Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention, but I haven't seen much
Dreamweaver bashing come up much lately, at least not on this list.

For my own part, I generally only use Dreamweaver when doing ColdFusion
work. Most of what I do is PHP/HTML/CSS, and for that I use
EditPlus/FileZilla/Xenu and a good Search and Replace tool to do much
what Dreamweaver does. It's not an elitism thing, or an anti-DW thing,
though, it's much more practical than that. I develop on a PIII 800, and
DWMX runs like a dog.

There's nothing wrong with DW -- it's definitely the best WYSIWYG tool
around. However, it's not necessarily the most efficient tool for everyone.

Cheers,
Noah