[thelist] RE: storing data clientside

Tim Kuhn Tim.Kuhn at PREMERA.com
Fri Aug 20 16:46:44 CDT 2004

Peter,

You are absolutely correct that you cannot access Viewstate from the client.
I was just thinking of storing data on the client, not accessing it from
there. I wasn't thinking, too early in the morning I guess. While I do agree
that Viewstate can be a bad thing when used inappropriately, and is commonly
abused, it does have its uses.

------------------------------

Tim,

	Actually, you can't really access ViewState from the client side
at all; it's solely a method of maintaining data across web requests.

	As much as I make my living off ASP.NET, I really dislike
ViewState, since the same thing could be accomplished in a number of
less-annoying ways.  ASP.NET 2.0 should provide some much better
state-maintenance methods.

	What about just using a client-side array that stays in a hidden
frame or something?

Cheers,

Peter