[thelist] ASP's Sendmail not working outside our network

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sat Aug 21 02:36:28 CDT 2004

CDONTS works by creating an appropriately formatted text file and dropping
it into the configured pickup folder of the MS SMTP server.

You need to look in the MS SMTP server to determine why the message is not
being delivered. Two common problems;
a) the domain of the From: address is not resolvable in the DNS (eg you make
up a fake from: domain). MS SMTP server will not deliver these type of
messages

b) the SMTP server is having DNS resolution problems (eg you have TCP 53
blocked or similar), in which case it can't work out where to deliver things
to. Check the /badmail folder for clues on why SMTP Server can't deliver the
messages.

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Smith" <rob.smith at THERMON.com>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 5:30 AM
Subject: RE: [thelist] ASP's Sendmail not working outside our network

: >What are you actually using?  I don't recall ever seeing a
: >built-in Sendmail program in ASP.
:
: I'm using CDONTS.
:
: >Are you putting a valid "From" address on these messages?  If
: >so, the bounced mail should come back to that mailbox.
:
: Yes. I'm not actually sending mail from Outlook (Express). Here's the
: script:
:
: <%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT"%>
: <%
:  ...
:
:  strings = "..."  <!-- Email addresses delimited by ;
:  arrays = split(strings,";")
:  for x = 0 to ubound(arrays)
: Set myCDONTSMail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
: myCDONTSMail.From = "myemail at address.com"
: myCDONTSMail.To = arrays(x)
: myCDONTSMail.Subject = "Test Email"
: myCDONTSMail.bodyformat = 0
: myCDONTSMail.mailformat = 0
: myCDONTSMail.Body ="<p>Hey</p>"
: myCDONTSMail.Send
: Set myCDONTSMail  = Nothing
:  next
: %>
:
: ???.. One again, it sends stuff to my at domain.com for example, but not to
my
: hotmail.com address. I've started logging the SMTP site on IIS, and my sys
: admin is watching the Packets too.
:
: Until then, if you have any ideas, I'm listening.