[thelist] ProtWare's HTML Guardian... your thoughts.

Damien COLA damiencola at wanadoo.fr
Sun Aug 22 14:53:57 CDT 2004

I can see encrypting files being useful for at least 2 reasons :
1. If you work for a client and that you HAVE TO put your files on his
server, or give him access to your server. That's a protection against
theft (making the files useless because you cannot modify them) to
ensure paiment.
2. If you have your website on a shared hosting, the security is way
less than on a dedicated server, because you have to account not only
for web users but also for malicious users (unix account) of the box
you're hosted on. So hiding the sources will give a potential hacker
less information on how your site works behind the scene, backstage. And
so finding web exploits will have to be done entirely by guessing.

For PHP, one encryption tool is from http://wwww.zend.com
But I wonder if there doesn't exist tools that decrypt files encrypted
by those software ?