[thelist] PHP type and value match, but value comparssion fails.

Liam Delahunty liam at megaproducts.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 08:03:29 CDT 2004

I've a weird old problem, in my ecommerce application (onlinesales) I've
added the facility to say "x items ($sold_by) at y cost ($unit_price)",
so the shop can have say 3 whatsits at 1.20 (total price is therefore 3.60).

Just for error checking I want to check that the total price is equal to
the unit_price * sold_by. However, I've noticed that some prices,
despite being 'the same', always error!

eg,
  3 units X 0.5 = 1.5, works
  3 units X 0.6 = 1.8, fails...

So, what gives? How can I check these values, and what is causing the
errors?

I've written out a table of the errors (this was done using arrays, so I
guess there could be different errors here than when using form input,
but on random checking it's been right so far.)

Here's the table of results:
http://www.liamdelahunty.com/tips/weird/math_on_string_box.php

Here's an input form for testing:
http://www.liamdelahunty.com/tips/weird/math_on_string_form.php

The code is
http://www.liamdelahunty.com/tips/weird/math_on_string_box.txt
http://www.liamdelahunty.com/tips/weird/math_on_string_form.txt

--
Kind regards, Liam Delahunty, Mega Products Ltd
12 Bury Place, London WC1A 2JL Fax: +44(0)871 224 7891