[thelist] Issue with 2k3 Server...

Ken Schaefer ken.schaefer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 21:08:54 CDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:33:25 -0500, jsWalter <jswalter at torres.ws> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > a) It freezes every hour at that time? Or it freezes at
> > random hours, but when it does freeze it happens to be 58
> > minutes past the hour?
>
> Every hour, without fail.
>
>   Xx:58 on the dot!
>

> > c) What does the machine look like when it's "frozen"? Does
> > it accept any user input, or it is completely "locked up"? If
> > it's not completely locked up, what's consuming CPU etc?
>
> No keyboard input
>
> Num lock does not light or unlight
>
> CAPS lock does not light or unlight
>
> Mouse will not move.
>
> Server listing is not in Network Neighborhood on other machines
>
> It will not PING

This looks like a hardware fault to me, except that it happens at such
a regular interval. The only thing I can think of is that something is
happening at xx:58 which is causing something to lockup, or generate
excessive interrupts or similar. Of concern is that the machine will
not respond to pings (the low level drivers in the TCP/IP stack run in
kernel mode), and that the keyboard lights are not changing state.

One thing I would check before going further though - does this
machine have the lastest BIOS updates from your m/board manufacturer?
It may be that the power management of the HAL you currently have
installed is not compatible with the BIOS of the machine. Updating
this BIOS usually fixes this.

Otherwise, if the BIOS is the latest, then you could consider doing
some hardware testing, or call Microsoft PSS (they will probably get
you to produce a dump when the machine crashes)

It may be possible that your installation is corrupt, but I think this
is more unlikely - usually you'd see a STOP message if something
within the kernel could no longer provide the necessary operating
environment for the system

Cheers
Ken