[thelist] Issue with 2k3 Server...

Jeff Wilhelm thelist at summit7solutions.com
Wed Aug 25 22:22:51 CDT 2004

No other hardware?

There's a motherboard, right? There are chips on it? RAM maybe? A power
supply?

There are a lot of things that can fail on a computer. I had a computer a
few years back that would shut itself off every 18 minutes or so. Turns out
there was a chip on the motherboard that had some insulation or SOMETHING
flaking off the top, and every 18 minutes or so it would overheat and the
system would power down. Then I'd turn it back on, it'd be fine, and 18
minutes later it'd shut off.

Another thing I've seen is an air condenser / conditioner turning on, and
causing just enough of a sag to fuck with the power supply on some desktops.
Of course, at work everything is UPSed, but my point is just that there are
MANY things that can be considered hardware that can break, not just
CD-ROMs, etc...

Message from  at Wednesday, August 25, 2004 10:55 PM: