[thelist] Issue with 2k3 Server...

jsWalter jsWalter at torres.ws
Thu Aug 26 00:03:01 CDT 2004

Like I said, I pulled everything except what it needed to turn on.

> There are a lot of things that can fail on a computer. I had
> a computer a few years back that would shut itself off every
> 18 minutes or so. Turns out there was a chip on the
> motherboard that had some insulation or SOMETHING flaking off
> the top, and every 18 minutes or so it would overheat and the
> system would power down. Then I'd turn it back on, it'd be
> fine, and 18 minutes later it'd shut off.

Sure, but wouldn't that behavior be OS independent?

> Another thing I've seen is an air condenser / conditioner
> turning on, and causing just enough of a sag to fuck with the
> power supply on some desktops. Of course, at work everything
> is UPSed,

Yes, Belkin 1100 UPS between the server and the wall.

No heavy equipment around.

Just household stuff. The server is in my basement.

> but my point is just that there are MANY things
> that can be considered hardware that can break, not just
> CD-ROMs, etc...

Yes, I agree, thus my query to this list.

Hoping that someone one smarter or with more experience than myself
would think of something.

And I was right. I've received a lot of good questions.

Please, keep them coming.

Walter