[thelist] Issue with 2k3 Server...

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 08:27:23 CDT 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:42:43 +0300, Kasimir K <evolt at kasimir-k.fi> wrote:

> This brought an idea: what happens if you set the system's clock say 2
> minutes behind? If the system now hangs at xx:56 instead of xx:58, then
> it might be an external reason.
>
> Further, if you now set you system's time to say 10:57, will it hang in
> one minutes time?
>
> This should help to figure out whether the problem lies in or outside of
> the box.

Reading over this thread, this is something that I have been
wondering. Is this a problem that simply happens every 58 minutes and
you have just been rebooting the computer in such a way that the
reboot happens at the bottom of the hour or is it directly linked to a
specific time.

Human nature would dictate that if the first lock just happened to
take place at xx:58 and you reboot the computer (which would take
about 2 minutes), then if the lock is dependent on 58 minutes, this
cycle would repeat itself and it would appear as if the lock was time
dependent -- i.e., it happens at exactly xx:58.

What happens if you reboot the computer at xx:30, will it lock at xx58
or at (xx+1):28? If it is the latter, then it must be something
external to the computer, if it is the former (i.e., every 58 mintues)
then it is probably something with the computer.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd