[thelist] Em dashes not displaying for the client

Clive R Sweeney clive at designshift.com
Thu Aug 26 11:35:04 CDT 2004

I just had an email from a client who says, "You use the EM dash —
in your pages and you also use charset=iso-8859-1. I don't think the EM
dash will display using that charset. It doesn't display for me in IE or
netscape or galeon or konqueror."

This is one of those situations where I don't have the problem but the
client does. I really don't want to replace all the em dashes on his
site with double hyphens, just because one person's computer doesn't
display the character properly. Then again, maybe this em dash problem
is more common than I think.

Apparently he has also tried replacing "iso-8859-1" with other character
encodings and the em dashes still don't display.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is here?

--
Clive R Sweeney
Designshift.com | Durham NC