[thelist] Re: Em dashes not displaying for the client

Clive R Sweeney clive at designshift.com
Thu Aug 26 14:17:53 CDT 2004

s t e f said the following on 8/26/2004 2:45 PM:

> Maybe I'm missing something, too, but why not use the valid —
> entity?
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/entities.html#h-24.4.1>

According to the article I referred to in my last message
(http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/windows-chars.html), the entity
&#8212; has "better support" than &mdash;

The &#8212; entity is valid and I think it's now the standard for
displaying em dashes. Certainly it works for me in all my test browsers
(on Windows and Mac).

But I guess I'm still in limbo here. We have this apparently
authoritative article that suggests there's a problem, but I'd like to
hear if others on thelist have actually experienced the problem. Is it
really significant?

--
Clive R Sweeney
Designshift.com | Durham NC