[thelist] Re: Em dashes not displaying for the client

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 26 20:51:06 CDT 2004

On Thursday, August 26, 2004, at 01:09 PM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:
> But I only have access to Windows and Mac computers. Is there really a
> significant problem with these special characters?

I did not read the article you mentioned, but my guess was the author
may have been talking about the actual Windows characters, not the html
entity codes. You can see the characters in question by entering
copyright, TM, em dashes and smart quotes, etc into a word doc, then
copying and pasting the text into your text editor. The characters will
likely remain what they are and display correctly in your browser, or
they may not. These are the Windows extended characters that people
talk about, and they do cause problems for a significant amount of
people.

I've always used — for emdashes. I didn't realize it was improper.
It has never failed me, however.

Diane

> --
> Clive R Sweeney
> Designshift.com | Durham NC
My BF's job went to China so he opened a T-shirt store:
http://www.cafepress.com/abiegen.13058271