[thelist] network MAC and PC in home office

Gregory Wostrel info at gwcreative.com
Tue Aug 31 06:54:28 CDT 2004

On Aug 31, 2004, at 1:02am, Justin Zachan wrote:

> What I would like to do is have the MAC and PC link to each other i.e.
> open
> a file that resides on the MAC, on the PC or vice versa.
>
> Can I use the router for this? Do I need to link the MAC and PC via
> Ethernet? Or do I need software or hardware etc? Even better if the
> computers could share printers also.

I do this all the time. I have a G5 wired with ethernet to a hub, which
in turn is connected to the LAN port on an Airport base station, a Sony
laptop wired to the hub as well and a G4 powerbook connecting via
802.11g. I turn on filesharing on the Macs, share the local volume on
the PC and they all connnect. The Macs show up in the Workgroup on the
PC and the PC shows up in the Finder. (Network > Servers from the
Finder sidebar or command-K to bring up the Connect to Server dialog
and connect with the IP/Workgroup/Username )

Gregory Wostrel

gwcreative
email: gw at gwcreative.com
web: http://www.gwcreative.com
tel: 401.286.9228

Communications and the Art of Simplicity