[thelist] ASP: getting a computer ID

Craig cd-ml at aardvark.net.au
Fri Sep 3 01:49:20 CDT 2004

Thanks for your replies so far.

I should tell you a bit about what I'm trying to do.

I have written an ASP script that lists files/folders.  I want to encrypt
the script so when I sell the script, they can't see the source-code (it'll
be encrypted). I need some way of stopping them from just copying the ASP
files to any computer they wanted. So I thought if I generated a serial
number based on some ID from the server/computer, that they would then not
be just able to copy it from server to server.  If they wanted to copy the
script to another server, they would have to request another serial number.

I know there's probably a lot of holes in doing it this way, but I've never
had any experience selling any of my scripts.

Regards,
Craig.