[thelist] Taking over a Web site

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Sun Sep 5 16:19:36 CDT 2004

Hi All
        A friend has recently taken over a pub and, because he knows me,
wants me to up-date the current Web site. I have never done this before and
I want to know where I stand on a couple of issues...

1. It appears that the domain name does not belong to the former pub owner
but to the company who designed the site in the first place. My friend is
very keen to own the domain himself and has asked me to find out where he
stands legally on this point. The pub is in England and is a .com domain.
2. What is the etiquette involved in using someone else's work. Am I being
naive in thinking that any money paid so far has been for the work done and
it will just be a simple case of transferring the site, as is, onto my own
server? Realistically, I think not.

That will do for now, I have a horrible feeling this might get messy so I
would appreciate any input from anyone who has done this before.

Cheers

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk